Friday, March 17, 2017

The Request and The Order

Joseph Herrin (03-17-2017)


















Letters

I have been busy with letters recently. In response to my latest blog I had a sister in Christ from the state of Wisconsin write me and say that she would be glad to create the labels I needed to send the letters off to the men in prison. I received the package Wednesday, along with the created letters, and spent about 6 hours affixing labels to envelopes and stuffing them with letters. They are now in the mail. The men should be able to quit worrying about where their Newsletters are now. The last Newsletter they received was printed out on 1/28/2017, approximately 6 weeks ago.


















It's hard to tell, looking straight down on the letters, exactly how many there are, but there are 280 of them. The number does not sound that extreme, but it is a lot of Newsletters to send to men in prison. 

After I figured out what was wrong with my computer, and I knew I was going to have to replace it, I have spent a number of weeks saving up whatever cash came in to be able to purchase another one. I was able to order a computer and it is coming in next week. After that it will take me some time to be able to get the new computer loaded with all of the software I use and get some Newsletters printed on it. I figure by the end of this month I will be back in business. I may wait until then to work on the Scriptures that I am translating for they have bogged down also when I attempted to do a large search and replace. I attempted to do a search function on Exodus through Malachi, so that I would not have to do a separate search on names in each book, and the computer bombed out on me, repeatedly. I cannot change names in the Old Testament unless I do it one book at a time, and that would take too long. There are dozens of names I need to change, and with 39 books that would take a long time and I would be prone to missing some of them.

I looked at computers, and was surprised to see that AMD had just released a new processor about a week ago. The Ryzen processor was a good deal, but it is encountering some problems in getting it to run at full steam with certain Microsoft programs and using non-AMD graphics cards. I decided not to take the chance on a Ryzen card (you would have to use one of their approved motherboards, and there aren’t too many of them out), and I ordered an Intel processor instead.





















I ordered the system from Adamant Computers. They have been in service for ten years and have a 100% review based on more than 2200 entries on Ebay. The system I ordered has 4 expansion slots, which should be more than enough to handle the Soundblaster sound card and the Nvidia graphics card I am going to take out of my existing system to save some money. I am also going to re-use my 960 GB SSD drive. I had the 480 GB Kingston M.2 card installed. I have never had one of these before, but they are rated faster than the standard SSD drive. I had to have this installed to have Windows 10 preloaded at Adamant Computer. Interestingly, Microsoft just announced that they will no longer support Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

The system has a Corsair case, Thermaltake 750 Watt power supply, ASUS motherboard, Intel i7-6900K Broadwell-E 8 core running at 3.2 GHz, and a Corsair High Performance Hydro water cooler to keep it cool. The Broadwell-E 8 core processor is what makes this PC go, and it isn’t Intel’s newest processor. The 6950 10 core is newer, but it is also $600 dollars more. The 6900 is $1,000, which I will need to keep my system running for at least the next 5-7 years. The computer also comes with 64 GB of RAM and is upgradable to 128 GB.

Some people may think this computer is too fast, but in 5 years these stats will seem rather tame. I paid $2,866 dollars for the PC, not counting the upgrades I have for it in my present system. With the programs I already have the system should easily carry the load. Excel should be no problem. I also have Xara Web Designer, Audacity, Camtasia Studio 8, Adobe Premiere, Corel Paintshop Pro ver. 18, and numerous other programs, some of which have been too slow to run on my current system.

I sincerely want to thank those of you who have given freely to make purchasing this PC happen, and I thank the sister in Wisconsin for printing the labels for me. Your gifts are being used with much appreciation.

Heart4God Website: http://www.heart4god.ws    

Parables Blog: www.parablesblog.blogspot.com    

Mailing Address:
Joseph Herrin
P.O. Box 804
Montezuma, GA 31063

No comments: