Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A First

 Dear Readers,

This post contains a first for the Parables Blog. I have a recipe to share with you. Joseph, the son of Jacob, dispensed grain go the world. I will just tell you how to cook it.

For some time the Father has been leading me to adopt a healthier diet. I rarely eat meat anymore. When I do it is fish, or poultry. I have also recently cut out cow's milk and the dairy products associated with it. I use almond milk in my cereal (it is really good, especially almond milk with vanilla - available at the local Kroger), and I drink water with my meals.

I have been looking for healthy, but also tasty, recipes. Recently my daughter and I stopped at a local coffee house in Macon. Kristin introduced me to a new treat. It is baked oatmeal. It was very good, so I looked for recipes when I returned home. I found quite a lot. The one I use is actually my own, as I changed quite a few of the ingredients. If you want to try a very healthy and tasty dish, I recommend the following to you.

Baked Oatmeal 
















Mix the following wet ingredients together in a 9x9 baking dish. (I use a glass dish.)

1-1/2 cups water
1 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons molasses (or maple syrup)
1 egg

After mixing well, add in the following:

1/2 to 3/4 cup brown sugar (according to how sweet you like it).
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix the above ingredients well until all is dissolved. Then add the following:

1/2 cup raisins
1 medium apple diced small (optional)
3 cups oatmeal

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Note: You can bake immediately after mixing together, or you can stick it in the fridge and let it sit. Some recipes recommend as long as 24 hours. I usually mix mine up at night and place it in the fridge to be cooked in the morning. It comes out great that way.

When warming up leftovers, adding some sweet milk, before heating in the microwave will keep it moist and delicious. I use almond vanilla milk.

Yesterday I cooked this recipe using strawberries in place of the raisins and apples. It was also excellent. I plan on trying the recipe soon with blueberries, since I have some in my freezer.

Final Note: Regarding my change of diet, I am convinced this is Yahweh's instruction for me. Recently I read several very informative books on this subject. They are Forks Over Knives edited by Gene Stone; Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr. M.D.; and The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, M.D.

I do not teach vegetarianism as a Christian doctrine, for I do not see it taught in Scriptures. What I do teach is that every person should be submitted to the Holy Spirit in all things. This includes knowing what the Father would have us to eat as individuals. I do not suppose He will lead everyone to the same diet. It is wisdom to seek His mind in all things, including the maintenance of our physical bodies.

May you be blessed with peace and understanding in these days,

Joseph Herrin

Heart4God Website: http://www.heart4god.ws/  

Parables Blog: http://www.parablesblog.blogspot.com/    

Mailing Address:
Joseph Herrin
P.O. Box 804
Montezuma, GA 31063

3 comments:

Kim said...

Dear Joseph,

I am glad you are following a healthy diet. Please understand when I say that if you are working toward good health, you should eliminate the microwave oven. It emits rays that are highly unhealthy.

Kim

Joseph Herrin said...

Thanks for the tip Kim. I will check into the matter further.

Joseph

Deirdre said...

Ha! This is cute! Sounds' like a good recipe. And a nice First!
Peace,
Deirdre