Monday, March 20, 2017

A New Season

Joseph Herrin (03-20-2017)
















I have a couple of Bluebirds playing with the mirrors on my bus. They see their image in them and believe them to be real competition for their mates. Occasionally they go over to the mirror on my RAV4 and have a go at them. It is the first day of spring, and in South Georgia it seems like a spring day.

The weather today is forecast to be 77°. It is supposed to get down to 55° tonight. You couldn’t really ask for a nicer day. It is sunny outside, and I have already had to mow the lawn twice. The downside to all of this is that I suffer from Hay Fever. I always have since I was a young boy growing up in Oregon. You take it as it comes. In a few weeks the allergies will be over.
















We have pine forests all around us. They are the pine forests that men have planted. Long, straight rows of pine trees as far as the eye can see. I don’t have many to look at from where I sit. There is one long row of trees alongside the driveway. It is two trees deep and a couple hundred yards long. If I go out to the main road, a dirt road, there are plenty of pine forests everywhere you look. I can tell that the Hay Fever is in full process by watching the pine trees. A thick yellow smudge of pollen will coat everything outdoors. I can tell by looking at my car. It will be coated with yellow.

The pecan fields don’t show any change yet. They are the last trees to blossom and turn green. They will be looking brown and lifeless for another month. The peach trees are another story. They are already sending up lots of new growth. The Mexicans have been out trimming them already.






















It has been a couple of weeks since they have pruned the trees. They are now starting to grow leaves and put on flowers. There is hardly a prettier site than to see the peach fields all a bloom with their pink flowers.
















They will start picking peaches in May and finish up in August, depending on the type planted. Pecans aren’t harvested until October, or November.

I have a good friend who lives in Northern Idaho. He sent me pictures of his yard yesterday. It is not quite the same.

















This was taken yesterday, the last day of winter. It looks like it will be winter there for a while longer. That is a picnic table in the front of the picture. The top of it has just become visible. I doubt they are talking about peaches there. Of course, having four regular seasons is nice, but I don’t miss the snow too much. I’ve even seen butterflies here.














Heart4God Website: http://www.heart4god.ws    

Parables Blog: www.parablesblog.blogspot.com    

Mailing Address:
Joseph Herrin
P.O. Box 804
Montezuma, GA 31063

1 comment:

Therese said...

Thank you Joseph for this, it is encouraging. Spring is a lovely time of year, all the more enjoyed and appreciated if you've suffered through a long harsh winter. This account of the trees is like a parable of how some believers come to full fruition and mature later in life than others. It reminds me of where some are hired to work in the harvest later than others who bore the heat of the day, yet receive the same wages. The first shall be last and the last shall be first......and this diminishes nobody, but we are to understand how the Lord is a great equalizer and so gracious and just, and later bloomers are acknowledged because they had to endure a longer wait and preparation. In Christ the poor can take pride in their high position, and parts with less honour receive more honour, and how hills will be made low and valleys lifted up until all are level, many places in scripture demonstrate this aspect of the character of our wonderful God and Saviour. May the Lord bless you.