Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Dreamer

Joseph Herrin (12-19-2010)






















“Dream Until Your Dreams Come True”
(Front Wall of Bus)

Genesis 37:17-20
So Joseph went after his brothers and found them at Dothan. When they saw him from a distance and before he came close to them, they plotted against him to put him to death. And they said to one another, "Here comes this dreamer! Now then, come and let us kill him and throw him into one of the pits; and we will say, 'A wild beast devoured him.' Then let us see what will become of his dreams!"

Has Yahweh set a dream in your heart, some magnificent promise of things yet to come? The world tries to kill the dreams that God gives to His chosen vessels. Oftentimes it is the hands (and mouths) of brothers that become the instruments which Satan uses in his efforts to “kill, steal and destroy.” Such was the case with Joseph, the son of Jacob, and it is Christian brothers that Satan is still fond of employing today. How tragic that those people who are called “the body of Christ” become the hands and feet of Satan.

It is perilous to be a dreamer of God-given dreams. Sorrow and grief attend those who dare to believe those things Yahweh has promised them. As Joseph discovered, those who dream will often be separated from their brothers and experience much more difficult life than their more earthly minded brothers.

Many of you know that I did not always use my first name. Growing up, my family all called me by my middle name which is Bradley. In 1999, as I was working on the first book my heavenly Father led me to write, I clearly heard the Spirit of Christ instruct me to begin using my first name, Joseph. I understood the Spirit to be stating that my name was significant, and He wanted me to walk in the understanding of its meaning.

A short time after this a sister in Christ with a gift of prophecy attended a service at the fellowship where I was one of five ministers. The head pastor recognized her among the congregation and asked if she had a word for the body. She affirmed that she did have a word, but added that it was for the leadership and would like to share it with them after the service.

When the five ministers gathered up front, with a number of their wives present, this prophetess stood in our midst. She said, “God has a word for the leadership, but it is specifically for you.” At this, she pointed directly at me. She then said, “God says, ‘Promotion is coming to you.’”

None of those gathered, including the woman prophesying, knew me by my first name. All present called me “Brad.” At the time I had no realization that part of the significance of my first name was coming to pass. Joseph received dreams from Yahweh that he would one day be promoted over his brothers. In his enthusiasm he shared these dreams with his brothers and father. His brothers were provoked as they were already jealous of him, and his father reproved him while keeping the saying in mind.

In hindsight I recognized the parallel to this experience in my life as this woman prophesied in the presence of my brothers that I would be promoted. As I have often mistakenly done, I assumed that the word would be quickly fulfilled, and my joy quickly realized. I do not doubt that Joseph also had similar thoughts in his youth. It came as a surprise to both of us that demotion must proceed promotion.

Some months after this meeting in which the prophecy was given I found myself in another meeting with my brothers. The parallels to Joseph’s life were profound. My brothers were shepherds, as were Joseph’s. The sheep my brother’s tended belonged to our Father, in another parallel to Joseph’s life. My brothers had been providing improper care for the sheep, and I had at times discussed this matter with my heavenly Father.

Genesis 37:2
Joseph, when seventeen years of age, was pasturing the flock with his brothers while he was still a youth, along with the sons of Bilhah and the sons of Zilpah, his father's wives. And Joseph brought back a bad report about them to their father.

Joseph’s brothers were seeking things for self. A desire to please their father was not uppermost on their minds. When Joseph manifested a desire to please his father, this produced strife. There was a conflict of motives, and the majority were against Joseph.

Genesis 37:4
When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than all his brothers, they hated him and could not speak peaceably to him.

In this latter meeting my brother’s also could not speak peaceably to me. A spirit of rage was manifested among them. One of my brothers and fellow shepherds stated three times in the meeting that he could care less whether or not I died. The head pastor’s wife stood up in front of me and shouted, “You think your words are prophetic, but I say they are pathetic!” God’s grace enabled me to listen to all without reply. In the end, I was told that I would have no more place to minister among them. I was cast out from their midst.

I wonder whether Joseph ever forgot his dreams in that dark season of his life. Having been rejected by his brothers, his last experience among them being the recipient of murderous hatred, living without friend or fellowship for many years in a strange land, did the sorrow of the things he lived through dim the expectancy in his heart?

I confess that I have rarely thought of those things spoken to me by a prophetess eleven years ago. There have been many more trials, sorrows, and difficulties along the way, including time spent imprisoned in one more parallel to Joseph’s life. When my brothers have been living lives of prosperity and comfort, I have moved from place to place, in obedience looking to the Father for my sustenance. I have spent months living out of a car, and a full year living at a rescue mission. I have camped in my van in the middle of downtown for a summer, paying $34 a month for a gym membership to have a place to shower.

I have not yet seen the promotion of which the Father spoke, but I have held onto the word, counting it as sure, for the One who promised is faithful.

I don’t have any concrete idea in mind concerning the manner in which Yahweh will fulfill His word. I do not believe Joseph had any inkling either. The day he was summoned from Pharaoh’s dungeon to stand before his throne, Joseph was as surprised as any of those present.

In a very real sense, all of Yahweh’s children must follow the pattern of Joseph to promotion. There is an inheritance set before the people of God. There are promises of ruling and reigning with Christ during the thousand years soon to begin. Not all of Yahweh’s children will qualify for promotion. Joseph had eleven brothers, yet none of them shared his authority and glory. The years Joseph spent enduring heartache and difficulties, unable to do anything of his own initiative, his brothers were living self-indulgent lives. There is a very important lesson in these Biblical types and shadows.

A sister in Christ recently asked me whether I had given a name yet to the bus I am converting to a motorhome. I told her I had a name in mind. It comes from a movie that has a very definite Joseph theme. The movie is called “The Astronaut Farmer.” In it, the main character builds a rocket, and one of the final acts of his labor on this heavenly vehicle is to paint the name on it.





























The Dreamer

Over eight years ago, when my daughter Kristin was 14 years old, the Father spoke a word of prophecy through her to me. Kristin wrote it down. The text of it follows:

Because you've shown great confidence in Me, you will not be disappointed. My majesty and splendor you cannot fathom. Just as you are looking to Me, I will not turn away from you. I am in control. Who can understand My ways? Certainly not man! But through My eyes you will see. Just as I have opened your eyes to physical things, so shall I open your eyes to spiritual things. Never before have you witnessed My power as you are about to... Greater things are coming than as of now you have dared to dream. Do not dismiss the dreams I have and will place in your heart, for that would be to dismiss the blessing of the dreams in their fulfillment. The time is coming for dreams to be fulfilled. An hour is coming in which My power will be demonstrated in magnificent ways. Watch and be amazed, for all with eyes to see will see these things.

In many ways the work I have been led to do on the 1972 Carpenter school bus is reminiscent of the work the Father is performing in the lives of a remnant of His people. The bus was nothing impressive. I paid either 12 or 14 hundred dollars for it a year ago. The entire price was a few months of car payments to many people. The bus had to be stripped inside before it could begin to be refashioned into a suitable habitation. The entire process has been a work of grace as some have given financial contributions. Some have donated valuable parts. One sister sewed curtains and coverings, while others contributed sheets, blankets, towels and such.

The labor has been my own as the Father has made every provision. I have known the guidance and empowering of His Spirit. Many things have come out far nicer than I could have accomplished if left to myself.

What I have at this point is still something that would appear humble to the majority of Americans who are used to large homes and fancy vehicles. It would appear very lowly if parked beside the $100,000 plus luxury motor coaches at the local Camping World. But to me it is a thing of beauty. The Father’s hand is evident in it, and I am confident of His leading in this endeavor. All the work so far has been interior, showing the priority of the Father. He must transform us internally before He adorns us externally.

In coming days, He will certainly raise up a people whose appearance in the eyes of the world is very lowly. They will be stripped bare of those things the world esteems. Yet, out of sight a work of profound transformation will be occurring. The grace of God will be bringing the old nature to death while causing a spiritual being to arise.

You can appreciate then that one of the themes inside of the bus is that of the butterfly. Did a caterpillar ever dream of one day wearing the gossamer wings of a butterfly, of shedding its fleshly form to don a heavenly one? What the Father has planned for His children is just as radical. Those who dare to dream will certainly pay a cost. For the joy set before them they too will endure.

Following are some pictures showing the recent progress inside the bus.






















Beginning Cabinet Install

I used ceiling braces salvaged from the school bus to suspend a 12 foot long cabinet from the ceiling.






















Shelf in Place and Wiring Secured Beneath






















Shelf Constructed and Lights Wired






















Another View of Underside of Cabinet/Shelf






















“Nothing is Impossible with God” - Butterfly Wall






















“I trust in Thee, O lord. Thou art my God. My times are in Your hands” Butterfly Wall





























Butterfly Refrigerator






















“Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature” Butterfly Stained Glass






















Dream Bus from Front to Back

Heart4God Website: http://www.heart4god.ws  

Parables Blog: www.parablesblog.blogspot.com  

Mailing Address:
Joseph Herrin
P.O. Box 804
Montezuma, GA 31063

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joseph,

This really looks nice. It appears that everything you need you have been able to get into the bus. I do like the artwork. So you are planning on naming the bus "The Dreamer" if I understood correctly.

Exciting. Have you any idea about how long before you will be out on the roads?

jmd

Joseph Herrin said...

Dear JMD,

The Father has not made me aware of any traveling plans at this time.

May you be blessed with peace and understanding in these days.

Anonymous said...

'The vision is for the appointed time. It hastens toward the goal, and it will not fail.though it tarries, wait for it.For it will certainly come, it will not delay." (Habakkuk 2:3)

kim said...

Joseph,
Your home looks very comfortable and cozy, not to mention tidy and organized (those are very important to me :)...) and I, for one, have lost interest in big, fancy homes that cost a lot (and I've been a real estate agent for over 20 years), take up all your time in cleaning and maintenance and tie you in one place! So far, God has not called me to anything so radical as what you have been called to do, but I keep asking Him to reveal His plan to me. At this point I am just looking forward to going home. I was watching a testimony on line last night of a person who had died for a short time and he said one of his first thoughts was "this is my home..., I've finally come home". That sounds good to me. I don't feel at home here anymore, but I do like your bus and pray for God's continued protection and provision for you while you are in it.

Kim

Joseph Herrin said...

Dear Kim,

The circumstances of life that our Father chooses for us are at times very difficult as He works to get us to set our affections on that abiding home we have to come, rather than upon the passing things of this material world.

In my own experience, I endured such difficulties, trials, sorrows, loss, and grief over the condition of mankind that I too was brought to lose that natural affection I had for this world.

Such experiences are intended to bring us to that place where we can confess with Paul, "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." If we can say the first part of this saying with an honest heart, then we will also come to a place where we view our "homecoming" to be with the Father and Son to be an event to look forward to.

I pray that many more might come to view things similarly.

May you be blessed with peace and understanding in these days.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps we are not meant to love the world but rather the people in it.

Joseph, I wonder how you reconcile your lifestyle with the words of Messiah that we are to be IN the world but not OF it?

Joseph Herrin said...

Dear Anonymous (?),

Indeed, Christ died for the world, speaking of the people in it, but did not live to pursue the material possessions of this world. Had He desired to do so, He could have taken Satan's offer when tempted in the wilderness.

You ask how I am able to reconcile the words of the Messiah that we are to be in the world, but not of it. I am not certain what you wish me to reconcile. I am in the world, but I am a citizen of a heavenly kingdom. That seems pretty straightforward. This is not my home, I am just passing through.

May you be blessed with peace and understanding in these days.

Anonymous said...

Its nice to dream,but dreamers usually get very little done,its the ones that put their hand to the plow and walk/work that will eat the fruit of their labors.
In saying all that, I know to follow where The Lord leads me,where there will be productive work not just busy work. There is always a time for alittle dreaming but there must be time for productive work to be/get done.

Joseph Herrin said...

Dear Anonymous (?),

Those things I write are for those who yearn after truth. Some merely want to debate, and there is no fruit in wrangling over words.

In my writing I have spoken not of "day-dreaming," or of giving the mind to idle fantasies. Rather, the context has been to believe those things the Father has spoken to a person.

Did Joseph accomplish those things the Father promised by getting busy and working to make it happen? Absolutely not! All Joseph could do was to hold onto the dream, believing God, while seeking to be found faithful wherever he was placed.

Yahshua was also a dreamer. We are told that "for the joy set before Him He endured the cross." Yet He was always busy doing the Father's work. This is the pattern I have set forth, and which I desire to follow.

May you be blessed with peace and understanding in these days.