Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Come and Dine






















We have had a re-emergence of summer weather here in Georgia the past couple days. There were thunder storms yesterday morning, with heavy rains at times. Working in the bus, I had to hook up a light as the overcast skies made it too dark to see what I was doing.


The task before me was to install the dining room table and benches. The benches had to be cut out to fit over a heater vent that ran down the wall. Due to cutting off the corner of the bench, I also had to put in bracing to support the side that had been cut.


Some days, it takes a great force of will to get started. The inside of the bus was very humid, and all work seemed to take extra effort. I had to keep the vision before me of seeing the benches and dining table installed in order to keep moving. Due to the rains, I had to do all my wood cutting inside the bus. I try to avoid doing this in order to keep down the amount of sawdust inside.


I had to purchase some screws and anchors to attach the table legs to the floor. I am drilling through steel plate, and ended up breaking two drill bits. Finally, the work was completed, and my clothes were wringing wet as I had been working in sauna like conditions all day.





 



















The dining table lowers to make a child's bed. It is only 5'5" in length, so an adult would have to curl up to sleep there. I also added a hinged seat under the cushions so the bench area can be fully utilized for storage.

Today was another slog as the morning started out exceptionally humid. The rains the previous day had left everything dripping, and the temperature was forecast to reach 90 degrees. Even after opening many of the windows, I was soon dripping wet from perspiration. One symptom of the hereditary bone disease Osteogenesis Imperfecta which I was born with, is profuse sweating. My sweat glands were working overtime the past couple days.


There are times when I find that I must simply set my mind to work despite the discomfort I am feeling in my body. This morning I had to attach some strips below the windows, pre-drilling all the holes into the metal frame to attach the wooden strips. This would provide a base to attach the wall paneling, and also provide a space to install insulation behind the paneling.

The work was physical as the metal was hard to drill into. I also had to get into some tight positions. Sweat and insulation are a wonderful combination. I had put some latex gloves on (actually nitrile), and soon noticed water running out of the gloves when I held my hands up. I was ready to stop after a short time, but I knew that this would only delay accomplishing this difficult task. By 2 P.M. I had made good progress, and my back was telling me it was time to knock off for the day.












Furring strips mounted and insulation hung along walls.

I Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.

There are lessons of perseverance, and endurance to be learned in the work the Father assigns us to do. His grace is sufficient. Let us not grow weary in doing that which He has appointed to us. We will reap in due time if we faint not.

Heart4God Website: http://www.heart4god.ws  

Parables Blog: www.parablesblog.blogspot.com  

Mailing Address:
Joseph Herrin
P.O. Box 804
Montezuma, GA 31063

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Whew! I'm worn out! You must be as well. Your blog just seemed to stop suddenly, as if you had collapsed. Rest, brother. We are not as young as we once were. It looks marvelous, by the way. You do excellent work. I shudder to think what my efforts at carpentry would look like. Thankfully, He gave us all different gifts. My younger brother got all the carpentry skills in my family, passed down from our maternal grandfather. I got a blest ability to speak and a beautiful voice. Not bragging, except on Him. May our heavenly Father continue to bless your every endeavor, brother. Kevin, from the lighthouse near the town of light (Helen).